« A closer look at the Plains Indian Ledger Drawings for American Indian Heritage Month | Main | Donor spotlight: A century of achievement, the commitment of a lifetime »

November 21, 2012

Byron

Adults and the social structure most of the times forces us to be separated from other races. But come to think of it, when we are children we see each other as real person, no skin color can separate us. You're lucky and blessed to have experienced such wonderful friendship. God bless!

Ern

Simple but inspiring story. You get a glimpse of how time flies so fast. 60's seems a galaxy away from us already. But the memory never fades. :-)

Erin

Thanks for your comment, Billy. We agree that the 1967 photo is especially poignant.

Billy Suratt

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story. The photo from 1967 is especially touching knowing the political climate of that time. If the world were run by children -- as opposed to adults who often behave like children -- there would probably be no racism.

сглобяеми къщи

I live in a small country in eastern Europe and it was very unusual to meet anyone from anther race when I was young. It is very uncommon even now days to meet black people in my home town. And this is why I remember very clear the first time I saw a black man in person. I was 4-5 year old and I hurt my arm on a broken glass. My parents rushed me to the hospital and there was a young medical student from Nigeria who stitched me up. I remember him as very kind and caring man. And when I was growing up and iron curtain fell I started learning about racism in America and the racial segregation and it was a big mystery to me how was this possible. Now after I've grown up I see that most of this is history and and the minds of most people have evolved past this and I am very glad.

Erin

Colleen, thank you for commenting! It's interesting how social media like Facebook can keep us in touch with old friends. We really appreciate you sharing your experience.

Julia, thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like your childhood friend made a big impact on your life. Were you ever able to find him again?

Janet, thank you! We're glad you liked the post.

HB

Very Interresting

Janet Stoeke

Beautiful.

Julie Stewart

My first black friend was a boy in my first grade class at Edgewood Elementary in Farmington, Michigan. We were the only two kids in the room with brown eyes & always shared our crayons, pencils, paper, etc. No one else would talk to him or play with him on the playground. He was such a happy kid with a huge smile & a great attitude, I liked him immediately. One day he told me they were moving to Redford & he was very excited to be changing to a school where more kids looked like him! I was confused by that & didn't understand for a few years what he meant. He was gone before the Christmas break & I missed him the rest of that school year. I always wondered what happened to him in life...

Santri Jaya

Thanksgiving inspiring us as a social humans who must live together, helping, sharing and giving each other without looking what ever our background.

Colleen Smith

I didn't get to know anyone from another race growing up where I did in the 50's and 60's. It's sad to think that there were about 4 different black families represented in my high school and I never got to know any of them. But when I moved to Greenville, SC in 2005, I started to work at a bank with Estoria. She was opinionated and determined. I loved it. We became friends and when I visit SC, I always make time to see her. She texted me when she was pregnant with her first and second child.I am thankful for facebook too so I can keep up with her and other friends I have made over the years and don't get to see in person much.