« A mysterious fork leads to the story of the infamous Greely Expedition | Main | Moving beyond Earth . . . and traveling light »

November 07, 2011

mike

There was some patterns and a few pairs of socks for sale on eBay not sure how to tell the authenticity of them though.

Maybe also checkout some of the army surplus shops, many have some really old kit and the prices are pretty good as well.

Johannes

Wow, are those socks for sale at all? That would be a great christmas gift for my dad.

Macci Martinez

I want to do a pair of CW socks and give it as a birthday gift for my brother, and I want to make them as authentic as possible to make it more special. I just don't know where to look for an authentic pattern. Please help. :)

Colleen

Actually, as others have posted, there ARE differences between WWII and CW era socks!

In addition, a little google searching for the Sanitary Commission pattern will lead you to it in several places online.

Harrow Strickland

Jenny, you so rock for doing this!!!!! Visitors will enjoy this teaching tool. I'm so impressed by the fact you now HOW to knit and put those skills to such a cool use!!

Jenny

Hello, fellow knitters! Thanks for contributing your advice. I have to admit that I'm a prolific, but not very technically skilled, knitter and have only learned how to read patterns in the last year. So I went with the pattern that worked for me. But I'll definitely consider your suggestions for the next time 'round!

A Facebook commenter also asked about what type of needles I used (size 1's) and then another on what type of needles would have been available--another great question to investigate!

BLClark

One of my favorites is a teacher in Oklahoma whose class bakes hardtack each year while studying the Civil War and she mounts a piece to paper and hangs it on the wall, where it joins the sequence of over a dozen previous years of hardtack samples. The casual viewer would be hard pressed to identify the newest.

Hochzeits DJ

I like the many artifacts you're showing! I hope to visit soon!

Adrienne R.

There are several Civil War era sock patterns available through the Atlantic Guard Soldiers Aid Society. World War II patterns would include innovations that they didn't have in the Civil War, such as grafted toes and they probably would have left out the seam stitch. I am, however, also a museum educator and I have found myself in similar situations, so good for you for making do. Nice sock!

LNS

What was wrong with the www.agsas.org/howto/patterns/knitting_sock.shtml free pattern? The author has supplied three different versions, from the original in its 1860s terminology, to a direct equivalent in modern terminology, to a version for those unfamiliar with sock-knitting to follow.

I'm British, living in Britain and when a friend over here asked me to knit him some American Civil War socks, it took me mere moments to find the AGSAS website and its multiple free patterns.
(The socks are worn at battle re-enactments of your Civil War in England!)

I'm pleased you have an item re-created for children to handle, but what a pity you couldn't find the original pattern issued by the US Sanitary Commission in 1860.