« A Simple Gesture: Remembering a museum volunteer | Main | Searching for Anna Lowell: The mystery behind a Civil War nurse's photo album »

July 11, 2011

Dave Moran

I found it interesting that your hands-on cart had musical instruments, and you also talked about preserving culture through stories and song.

One technique I use as an educator and children's singer is to sing songs and discuss what the lyrics actually mean and are they telling a story?

This would work for any period in history that you would like to discuss.

Kids love to sing and I find they will often give me answers to my questions if they are related to the lyrics of the song they have just sung.

Terri

I understand that not all slaves were treated the same, but to use the language that some were treated like family by slave oweners is a bit TOO much, and frankly offensive. Just because they may not have been beaten, doesn't mean anyone enjoyed being a slave, and using a loving reference like "family", I believe, is misleading. No one would enslave their relatives- regardless of how nice or mean they were.

Aunt Meg

I love that you didn't underestimate these girls. You started from where they were and helped elevate them to a higher level of thinking and knowledge, Sounds like they also had a lucky day at the museum when they ran into you!

Maggie

I am also an educator and it is always nice to see others who are passionate about teaching children and engaging them in meaningful discussions of our nations rich history. Keep up the good work!