« Found in our military history collections: A Marine Corps tiara | Main | Finding the Civil War in Washington, D.C. »

April 20, 2011

Cara

I think that technology is most definitely as important in education as well. Dave, I noticed you wrote there was an app that when your GPS passed a historical marker, it would give you a brief history of the site. Do you know if this feature is available on any current GPS models? We currently have a Garmin nuvi 2360LT in our family van, but I think it'd be a great idea to get a device that could share historical data (or download it to our current device). Thanks!

Debby Major

Naomi, really great written article. I too agree on the importance of working smart, not hard. So many are not utilizing or placing the right application into their websites so that they are managing social networking more efficiently. I watch many friends and associates in the "information overload" which often stops at 4 characters. "HELP". I am a big believer in he power of technology.

Naomi Coquillon

Thanks for your comment, Dave. I just installed the app and look forward to trying it out on my next road trip.

Dave Moreau

Hi Naomi. I too am a believer in the power of technology as an effective tool for history education. I think you may be interested in a Free Android Phone app I made. It is called Georeader. It contains the one of largest collection of historical markers and their texts in the world. It contains many States entire roadside historical marker collections. What is really neat about the app is that by using GPS and Text to Speech technology, when a user passes near the marker, the marker's text is automatically read aloud to you. Thus when you drive, you can get a history lesson. You can also add additional data points (we call them Talking Points) about anything you like (such as historical events) and place them anywhere in the world(like on the site where they occurred). When the users near that point, they hear what is written. Much like Twitter, you have to keep your message to 200 characters or less. This does allows some brief facts to be shared to the users without becoming "information overload". It kind of is like Twitter but in reverse. You go the the message... The app's website is www.mygeoreader.com . Please check it out.
Thanks. Dave