« Exploring continuity and change through the history of the bicycle | Main | You asked, we answer: Is the Star-Spangled Banner a poem or a song? »

October 05, 2010

ogame

Thinking about the sacrifice that many immigrants have made, and continue to make today makes me reflect on what incredible blessings I have to live here

Bill

I came here at 6 following my parents who had jobs in the university. I cried for days as I had to leave my friends behind but I very quickly got used to life here.

Ben

@brittney, as soon as I heard this story I thought of In Cuba I was a German Shepherd, especially the story about the "old uncle" who wouldn't let his family leave the house.

Mike Squires

I personally do not have a personal immigration story, nor one that rivals or compares in the least to the one described above. I read this post not knowing what it was about, and I finished with goosebumps all over. Thinking about the sacrifice that many immigrants have made, and continue to make today makes me reflect on what incredible blessings I have to live here. Mexicans, Cubans and others have literally risked their lives to come here. We should be mindful of their sacrifices as well. After all are we not at one point or another the product of some immigrant?

brittney

My "immigrant" roots are buried pretty deep -- like Mayflower deep. But my favorite stories about immigration are actually Cuban. In Cuba I was a German Shepherd is a particular favorite, so I love that your experience included something from the Cuban-American story.