« A brief history of AZT | Main | Haiti's voices of hope »

September 11, 2010

Cheryl Gowin

I was working in Orlando. We all sat and watched the happenings on TV in shock.

John

I'm shocked to see how many comments say the same thing, but on the morning of September 11th, my little cousin woke up crying her eyes out asking her mom if there was any possibility that terrorists could attack and she was FREAKING out worrying. Then they turn on the news a couple of hours later and there it was. Freaky stuff.

Eheringe

It is hard to believe that it has been 9 years. It seems much longer ago and sometimes seems like a dream. I have to remind myself that this actually happened, because it does not seem real.

Thanks for the nice post.

john

I live in united state and i remember 9/11 and honor those that died every day by using as little fossil fules as possible.I feel that if we can all be more conscious of the oil products we consume,we can lower the cost of a barrel oil because of lower demand.

john

Bill

I remember 9/11 and honor those that died every day by using as little fossil fuels as possible. I feel that if we can all be more conscious of the oil products we consume, we can lower the cost of a barrel of oil because of lower demand. This, in turn, reduces the amount of money that middle eastern governments can funnel to the people who still want to end us.

John Schinnerer Ph.D.

We put the flag out in front of our house. What's more, we have a young friend whose birthday is on September 11th. It always makes me feel badly for those with that birthday as it's a day of national mourning.

My best recollection, however, is the amazing resiliency with which America bounced back from that horrendous attack. I'm proud to be one of those resilient Americans!

John Schinnerer Ph.D.

Michael

I was in 2nd grade when it happened. I remember driving to school with my dad when he got a phone call. I couldn't understand what was going on but he seemed worried. He then told me I wasn't going to school that day. I was confused but being that young I was happy not to go to school. When I did go back to school, there was one kid who said that we were going to "nuke Iraq" and that "Iraq would not exist anymore". It was 7 years later that I actually understood what had happened.

Angela Perri

It was a beautiful morning in Myrtle Beach, SC. I had gotten up early and played 9 holes of golf and had just come home to start my day. I felt so good, I made a huge breakfast: eggs over medium, 4 slices of toast, bacon, coffee... I worked from home then so I turned on my computer and logged in to see if anything was happening. Then I walked into my sunroom with my plate and my coffee and turned the TV on to the Today show. Then I froze. I never did eat that big breakfast. I just sat there for hours watching... crying... praying.

And I remember thinking that - even though I was a Democrat - I was glad our President was a cowboy because I believed he actually would hunt down Bin Laden if it was the last thing he'd do.

Throughout the day, my heart just sank further as we all realized there was no need for trauma teams or hospital beds. They were all just gone...and then I remember hearing about United 93 and that those incredible men and women fought back. THEY made a difference. They STOPPED them! And I was so incredibly proud to be an American - who although I didn't know those individuals on United 93 - loved them and considered them MY family too. All of them, on all those flights - those trapped in the Towers - and those who had been sitting at their desks just doing their jobs when the planes hit...

I remember that in spite of the unspeakable tragedy - it WAS our finest hour as a nation. I thanked God for the first responders: FDNY, NYPD, at the Pentagon. I worked for a health care company who did PTSD counseling, mental health care and I tried to volunteer that day but everyone was overwhelmed. The grief. The anger. And yet, the unshakable faith and pride in our people. When those firefighters raised that flag at Ground Zero, I sobbed and sobbed... and raised my own fist in the air while on my knees vowing not to forget, ever. Evil would not triumph - WE Would Prevail. I still remember it and feel it as if it was yesterday...

Toni P. Dorvitt

True story. On Sunday morning, September 9, 2001, I woke up from a dream and told my husband that there were black helicopters flying all over the Eastern seaboard.

The following Tuesday, September 11, was a gorgeous, sunny, late summer day, and I was on the Capitol Beltway near the Mormon Temple, meandering my way through rush-hour traffic. I heard the news report that a plane hit one of the WTC towers, immediately thought it was a small craft, and prayed for the people who certainly must have perished in that accident.

When I got to my office in Bethesda, I found out that it was a passenger jet that had hit the WTC, and watched with other co-workers as the second jet hit the other tower on a television with very grainy reception. Shortly after that, the third plane hit the Pentagon. We had clients who worked at the Pentagon, in the very same area that was hit. A few phone calls later, we were relieved and grateful that they were not there because their offices were being renovated. Through all of this, we were shocked, amazed, and fearful.

Shortly after that, our offices were closed, and after fighting my way through worse traffic than I encountered on my morning drive, I arrived home. The skies were still a brilliant, cloudless, blue, and since all airports had been shut down, there was a quietness that seemed eerie.

I got online to get in touch with one of my high school friends to confirm she was okay, and she wrote back later to me to tell me of their ordeal getting back to their co-op in Queens. She was in mid-town, and her husband was only a few blocks away from Ground Zero. Once they met up, it took them hours to find an open subway station, but that they were safe, albeit very sore-footed.

I spent a couple of hours watching the coverage, seeing the towers collapse over and over again, looking at the crater in Shanksville, and watching the Pentagon burn until I could watch no more. I drove to Old Greenbelt to see some friends, and it was so odd to be standing in this beautiful little community on a perfect sunny day talking about the devastation and chaos. What a disconnect!

The next day I was at Walter Reed picking up some prescription refills, and I saw my doctor in the hallway. We just looked at each other, shook our heads sadly, and moved on.

John

Thanks for the nice post.

Patricia Kellogg

I was on a United Flight, the last red eye to leave Cleveland, (and they haven't resumed)Returning from my parents 50th wedding anniversary and landed at LAX. It was total panic, they threw our bags at us and made us board a shuttle. The driver didn't know anything, he was told to go get us. We then heard a car bomb was in the parking lot. Traffic was stopped from going into the airport. Then my friend called to see where I was because all she knew was it was a United Airplane that hit the towers. That's how I learned what happened. Worse was hearing Mayor Michael White going the Evacuation Orders for the City of Cleveland in the background. My GF let me hear the news of the flights landing at Akron Canton Airport and people screaming because flight 93 was aiming at their flight over Cleveland airspace. I was then driven back to my place by the Van Nuys airport which was eerily quiet. We heard one flight leave later that day. Heard it was one of the Bin Ladens planes leaving the US. LA was locked down, no stores open, no driving ANYWHERE. It stayed like that for 4 days, then mostly closed for 2 weeks.
My roommate was to return behind me but was stranded at LaGuardia. Her brother is at the Fire station on Amsterdam where 13 went in and only one got out. Her brother traded his day off with his friend and wasn't in NY at the time, and his friend was killed.
On that Friday after, LA went nuts. People went cruising and stood on street corners waving flags and holding candles. It happened all over LA county, neighbors actually meeting each other for the first time but rallying for every American. It was something to see.

Emily Jankowski

I live in South Dakota and was about 6 months pregnant at the time. At 6 am local time my father called me and told me, but I didn't get up and watch. Then my older sister called in tears and I got up, turned on my TV an sat in shock. Was I really seeing this? Was I really about to bring a child into this kind of world? Would they attack everywhere? Was my family safe? I sat, holding my belly, thinking I was doing this child a disservice. Her father was Active Duty Air Force, about to get out. Would he? Or would ge be going to war? Would he see his child born? Would he ever even see his child? Would I be a war widow? They put a stop loss into effect, the day after his last day. He was safe. But was he? Couldn't they call him back due to the attacks? The war? Sure he was safer than a Marine or someone in the Army, but how safe? We live near a base that has planes for bombing. Would they try to wipe out some of our defenses and attack it next?