« Why commemorate the centennial of the Mexican Revolution? | Main | A personal British invasion »

September 23, 2010

Tania Said

Excellent post, Cedric! Happy to stumble upon it.

No American Chinese food stories to share unfortunately, but I do remember the splendor of several 7-course Chinese dinners at fantastic hotels in Malaysia when I was a teenager. That lazy Susan revealing the next wonderful delicacy was tons of fun too. The shark fin soup was a surprise, and very good, but of course it's very political to have it on the menu now.

John Miles

You can google brunswick stew, frogmore stew, Huguenot Torte, and many more from the Carolinas.

Marcia Mau

Pupu is Hawaiian for appetizer.

Marcella

St. Louis gooey butter cake! http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/GooeyButterCake.htm
(I think there's a Philly version too; at least, friends of mine from that city have discussed something similar.)

tony

yes, you are right, popular dishes from my country (Chile) are unknown in other countries. I remember when i came to the States in 1986 (I was 17) I could not believe they didn't know what Dulce De Leche was (it's in 75% of desserts back home)