« An Idle Record of an Idle Summer | Main | An old coat and a ping pong ball = Kermit? »

August 24, 2010

Maggie

What a great tribute to Abbey Lincoln, a life well-lived for sure!

Thom Noble

@ buzz "It seems the "artists" these days don't compare to many of the greats in the past who made huge strides in music but also in civil rights, human rights, and so on."

Well roger waters from pink floyd might not count as a artist of these days, but he is donating a huge amount of money with his show the wall he is touring, the show the wall itself is a stride for human rights.

I like how you put "artists" though it made me lol i think you implied that no one is makeing music anymore which i agree very few "artists" of today are making music

Buzz

A great piece on Abbey Lincoln. It seems the "artists" these days don't compare to many of the greats in the past who made huge strides in music but also in civil rights, human rights, and so on. I think we can learn a lot from these people, especially those who are also born/lived during the depression.

Glenn Ledbetter

Some personal thoughts about our lives... (1) "Abbey Lincoln"...how many names did you use in your lifetime, at least four? Your maiden name was Anna Marie Wooldridge. When you married, were you Abbey or Anna Marie Roach or did you keep your own legal name? And then you were Moseka in Zaire. As a man, that's strange to me. So many names would make me wonder, who am I? (2) Death statistics show that many women die shortly after their birthdays, as you did. Were you waiting to celebrate your birthday one last time among family and friends? You were 10 years older than I. (3) In the 1960's, when you were making films and getting into social activism, I was in the Navy in Vietnam and into helping stop the spread of communism and defeating the Soviet Union and Red China in the Cold War. (4) Was your social justice activism rooted in religion or spirituality? For many it is, and I think I can understand that; for me, politics and war are not; in fact, all three seem to interfere with worship. (5) Yes, congratulations, Anna Marie, you did indeed make your life worthwhile, as your obituary in The New York Times says. Using your many talents and gifts, you left the world a better place.