« The knowledge factor in Silicon Valley | Main | Discover unexpected treasures »

July 08, 2010

lingxin34

I have been eating in my local chinese restarant for years & have built up a close relationship with the owner, a really nice older chinses guy & his family but he tells me evrytime at the end of each meal when he brings over fortune cookies that they are started in China!!

Dallas

Thanks. Always wanted to know where fortune cookies came from. Lol.

Tea kinds explorer

"There is a very special time for your dreamed success to become reality. It is now."

Mark Jones

well i never. I have been eating in my local chinese restarant for years & have built up a close relationship with the owner, a really nice older chinses guy & his family but he tells me evrytime at the end of each meal when he brings over fortune cookies that they are started in China!!

Will have to send him this link now!

Or should , he might not be best pleased!

Thanks
Mark

Adelyn

I know it will probably come as a great surprise to most people that fortune cookies were not a Chinese invention but as someone who grew up in the Far East I first encountered these delights when I came to the States.

Somehow though I think perhaps it is better if we don't spread the word too widely because American fortune cookies somehow seem to lose a little of their charm.

Jenny

Really interesting post and what a great object to add to the national collection!

I've always been a fan of the fortunes that come with lotto numbers and "everyday Chinese" phrases--most of which aren't that "everyday" at all.

Also, reading all these fortunes makes me think of twitter--short and sweet, to the point.

Kel

"May you live on moon in next century."

I got this at a Chinese buffet in Murfreesboro, TN. Heh.

Sarah

"You will be successful at everything."

If only this one came true...

suchitra

Wow! That is really surprising that fortune cookies are of US origin. I never liked to eat fortune cookie but I often open one in facebook to know my fortune! I tweet the fortune i get everyday(via TweetTwain by opening it, todays was "Humor usually works at the moment of awkwardness." :) which is really relevant to my situation. Thank you so much for this post and the blog, really an amazing and interesting blog to keep track with!
Regards,
Suchitra.

Connie R

"you will be going to Washington D.C.", which I got the week I was moving to DC from Boston.

Very odd and I've always remembered it.

Nimalas

With great power comes great responsibility.

Beth

No joke: "promote literacy buy a box of fortune cookies today."I can prove it too! Still have it!

caroline

"About time someone let me out of that cookie!"

By far, my all-time favorite. We were in hysterics around the table.

TeeVeeChick

"You may be hungry soon, order takeout now."

Randall

Actual fortune cookie message I keep with me: "There is no time like the pleasant"

Gbleddynn

"May you live on moon in next century."

Tom

"Be mischievous and you will not be lonesome"