« Did Susan Holbert make this quilt? | Main | Museums take a page from the American Library Association's book »

July 30, 2010

Thomas

I cant believe there was anyone who wasn't aware of who we won our independence from. That's really not funny.

Howard

If you asked the same question in the UK - suspect the result would be even lower. We have such a tradition of fighting wars that the War of Independence is just one of many!

Sheniya  Washington

"Our job is to connect our audience with the extraordinary collections and stories of the past, to make history come alive for young people and for new Americans."

I wish I had a history teacher like you or at least the history channel when I was young and I would have been a lot more interested in our heritage like I am today.

"Becoming a Citizen of United States" webmaster

Great Writing. I Found your article on us citizenship questions to be quite informative.I would love to view this website again as and when you update. Mean while I do have a website which contains some information on
Becoming a Citizen of United States.

webmaster@madezee.com

John

I started teaching history (social studies) in the early 1970's. I had some of the same responses from students, before I taught them, of course!

Ian Tyler

I can understand some people answering Mexico, Spain and France; but China? Sadly it isn't a problem exclusive to the USA. Here in the UK there are large numbers of us ignorant of our own country's history. I know people who wouldn't even be able to tell you who Winston Churchill was.

Megan

The response of China is worrying, but I can understand those who answered Spain, Mexico or France. After all, large parts of this nation were never held by Great Britain. The nation started from colonies held by Great Britain, but many states were formerly Spanish or French colonies which joined the U.S. in a variety of ways.

Aislinn O'Connor

That is really scary - it's all too true that those who fail to learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to keep repeating them, so it's not a subject anyone, or any country, can afford to ignore.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance", not just against potential human enemies, but against one of the greatest enemies of all - the apathy of ignorance.

I wish you every success in your endeavors.

Karen in Colorado

I thoroughly support your idea of using the collections to help new Americans learn and understand the history of their new adopted country. I am a doctoral student in American History and taking my citizenship test soon, but as a museum professional I also understand the power of objects to reinforce and teach ideas.
I hope you manage to pull it off!

Tiago Simões

Hi Brent,
Sad to see that, but that´s not a US problem.
Here in Brazil, we suffer much more with educantion problem.
Best regards and sorry for my bad english.

Tiago C. Simões