« Seizing justice: The Greensboro 4 | Main | Meet Libby Folsom, Spark!Lab docent »

July 26, 2010

chris

Being a double amputee myself I noticed several local business's making things easier for people with disabilities to be able to be in the job force and be productive. Now if we could only get closed minded people to accept those who are disabled.

Roger

There is LOTS more to do. You would think after all this time....business would conform to the ADA. It amazes me every time I go somewhere I find places hard to enter myself and I am of good health. Also when you go to large establishments it always appears during rush times the scooters/carts that are for the disable person are no where to be found or they are all in use.

attorney

growing up in a family struck by polio, and witnessing my sister in an iron lung (does this take us wa-ay back?), and years of experimental surgeries, braces and finally wheelchair, i thank god for the ADA and the work they are doing.

steven cooper

the ada came a long way since 1990
but there is a lot more to do

Maggie

We have come "A LONG WAY BABY" with this important legislation. Having worked in retail during this time and living in the community, it has been wonderful to see the evolution of these rights inacted making a tremendous difference in the lives of people with disabilities.

lors

I always have a soft heart for those people with disabilities especially young children. I am not American so I praise this 20-year old American with Disabilities Act. Keep up the good deed guys!

Ralph

The Americans with Disabilities Act is a piece of a piece of Legislation no other country in world comes close too regarding
a continued inclusion and opportunity to achieve anything you want regardless of health.

Thank you America for being America, I love you.

Ralph

Mike Richards

This was truly a landmark, I really appreciate the post!

K. Brigance

I'm glad to see that museums across the nation are recognizing the anniversary of this landmark piece of legislation. Here in St. Louis the Missouri Museum of History recently opened an exhibit on just that topic. They also launched a website to accompany the exhibit. If you are in Missouri you should stop by and see the exhibit which was designed to be fully accessible to people of all ability levels.

Link to the website: http://actionforaccess.mohistory.org

Information about the exhibit:
http://www.mohistory.org/node/4336

Hope for Health and Equal Rights for the Disabled

Back in the 1980's my Karate teacher, along with our Karate dojo, was working on teaching Karate to the disabled, as well as the able-bodied. We taught them how to use what they had rather than to focus on what they couldn't do.

My teacher became a close friend of Ed Roberts and invited him into the dojo to train with us and to learn Karate/self-defense. They went to many meetings together to talk about, and speak for, the passage of the ADA.

Ed had a terrific sense of humor even though he was a quadriplegic. I spoke with him several times and he made me feel totally at ease with him. He knew that I couldn't "fix" his disability, but that I could help to teach him what I knew as one of the senior Karate students.

My teacher taught him how to use his motorized chair for self-defense, since he could not move his limbs, and Ed became very proficient at it, I might add!

My heart ached when he passed, but I also thought about what he had accomplished during his "not-at-all-easy" life.

Scott

It's hard to believe that ADA is already 20 years old. I was only 9 years old when it became law, so I can relate to your article because I grew up with it as well and can't imagine how our country would be without it.

Tampa Disbility Lawyer

ADA is something that we all need to know about and this article does a great job of telling its story.