« Discover unexpected treasures | Main | Vince and Larry dummies "crash" into the Smithsonian »

July 21, 2010

Carrie Frederickson

I was a boy scout and actually worked as a merit badge counselor throughout my high school summers. It's a fantastic program. Congrats on the anniversary.

Jason Korinek

Your collection is fantastic! I am from the UK and used to smething called'cubs'. We used to have an Akela and we used to chant 'We will do our best. What great memories, but what a shame I did not keep my uniform, badges and books.

Wade Cockfield

All of the activities I had participated in as a Boy Scout will forever be part of my wonderful boyhood memories. Looking at these memorabilia surely brings me back to those times.

Ed

Great stuff there. Growing up in Pa, we were very active in Boy Scouts. Now in the Midwest, although not as popular, there are still many chapters.

akbar99

outstanding! How you managed such a great collection like that? wow! 100 years old Boy Scout collection.i don't know where my boy scout stuff is now.You must be a creative person.Very unique collection you have.

Suzy

Wow. Isn't it great to keep such things? It brings back a lot of memories and experiences during Boy Scout and Girl Scout years. Too bad I already lost most of my thing way back.

bettyk

Love this post. It reminded me that I still have my Girl Scout sash, and pins from Girl Scouts and Brownies. My "treasures" date from the 1950s. I wish I still had my Handbook, though!

Gary Wilson

I also noted you wanted a comparison of the contents of the different editions of the Boy Scout Handbook. The best material on this subject can be found at http://www.troop97.net/bshb1.htm

Gary Wilson

Collecting Boy Scout memorabilia is a major hobby. I collect Handbooks and have a complete set, although my 1911 one is a reproduction.

Two good books to help you with your collection are "A guide to dating and identifying Boy Scouts of America Badges, Uniforms and Insignia" By Mitch Reis, 2000, and "Standard Price Guide to US Scouting Collectables" by George Cuhaj, 1998.

Scouting has been a remarkable organization with over 100 million Americans being members (including 11 of the 12 men who walked on the moon) in the first 100 years. Here's to a second century of success!

Amy  Auger

I share Sebastian (a lady)'s comment that I hope the museum of American History had more in it's collection of the many, many items available representing the last 100 years of an organization that has had a profound effect on men. Presidents, astronauts, inventors all wore the uniform of the BSA. I personally have more than this in my personal collection!

Clarke

I have a similar tunic to the one pictured but mine is probably from the mid twenties. Does the one pictured have a maker's tag? The Sigmund Eisner Company was an early manufacturer of BSA uniforms.
The stripes on the sleeves may not be BSA issue, I don't think the BSA ever issued stripes. I would be curious to know what the medal on the left side of the tunic represents (my bet is that it is a WWI service medal of some kind. Are the buttons marked with the BSA emblem?

What I really like about the tunic is that it represents a period of Scouting when boys often cobbled together their own uniforms. It speaks of the eagerness and excitement of the time as boys became aware of Scouting for the first time. 100 years later each boy gets to rediscover scouting all over again and they respond with the same eagerness and excitement.

Maureen Badaracco

what better way to celebrate 100 years than by having a scoutmaster win the SEARS unsung hero contest!! Victor Badaracco, Troop 20 Bayonne is currently in 3rd place and needs your votes to win for scouts everywhere. Vote today and everyday till July 30 at www.searsunsungheroes.com !! Spread the word....

Sebastian (a lady)

I hope that this is just a sampling of the collection. I would encourage the museum to collect a representative set from current scouts.

I think that the handbook probably shows the most change, even though it is physically most like today's item. Reading it, you would probably fine, not only that the writing is at a higher level, but is also more exciting and that the text anticipates a scout who is adventurous and apt to tinker. Today's handbooks (and I speak as a mom of three scouts and a volunteer leader for both cub scouts and boy scout) aren't something that you would pick up and browse. And the current books tend to expect that scouts aren't going to grab hammer and nails and make something like an obstacle course for personal fitness in their back yard. A little more seasoning from those older handbooks might not be a bad idea.