« Sweet & Sour: Memories of a Chinese restaurant | Main | Forty years of service »

May 05, 2010

jimi

Personally after a rough shift at the job site an after work cold beer was just the ticket. Not any more. Margaritas are now the only drink that hit the "right spot' with the right people. Thanks for a interesting and refreshing historical article

Dinah

@Esther Cervantes

It's not just Margaritas that have become popular: Mexican food itself has become significantly more popular over the years. What was exotic in the 1970s is commonplace now.

I wonder what food/drink that is rare today will be the Mexican food of 2040?

Fred Perrito

Yes, there are low to no sugar margarita mixes. We have one here in the Atlanta area called "Sinless Margaritas". They are sweetened with the same ingredients as zero calorie Vitamin Water or Sobe water. The taste is great.

Kenneth

I am a commercial refrigeration technician and have been asked about how frozen margarita machines got started. I found this article enlightening. Thanks.

They are still essentially ice cream machines with a the consistency adjustment made. Now days the adjustment is usually a dial. Back then it was most likely a screw on a spring connected to a pulley arm that acts on a switch.

In either case to make an ice cream machine into a margarita machine all you do is put in the mixture and see what happens. After it has run a while check the consistency and turn the control. If the consistency goes in the wrong direction, turn it the other way. With a little trial and error you will find the perfect setting, then just leave it there. You no longer have an ice cream machine, you now have a margarita machine!

Eric

Very interesting article. I wasn't aware that margaritas started in the the early 70s in Texas. I was thinking this drink came from Mexico. I think it's great that the Smithsonian has this machine for all to see and learn more about. This is a great learning opportunity for all.

Jovana

I was in a Grenada Hotel where they made the most fabulous Frozen Margarita. Thank you for the history lessons.

P.S. I absolutely LOVE LOVE the Julia Child Exhibition =)Congrats on that. Will be looking forward to reading your blog a couple of more times.

Jason

My coworkers and I like to freeze watermelon and make margaritas that way. Goes great with a crab boil on warm summer nights. YUM!

Peter Dexheimer

Well, what a great story about this (used to be my favorite) drink. Had no idea about the history of it, but it's great to read about this little, yet so famous, machine.

Very well written article, I have always liked Mexican food and drinks, still like the food. Though, I no longer drink margarita's, my last one got the best of me, it's interesting to learn of its history and this little machine.

Yes, I also wonder what happened to Mariano!

Does anyone have any healthy Mexican food recipes, we could implement into our magazine?

So what are Mariano and the chemist doing today? Did they both retire or is their restaurant still around today? Thanks for the history lesson

I love Robb Walsh's telling of Martinez's tale in The Tex-Mex Cookbook. I'm glad the Smithsonian has the machine, and I love your blog.

Account Deleted

Nothing could be better than a slushy margarita (hold the salt) on a hot summer day. Its amazing to think margaritas were started in the the early 70s in Texas? They're not even Mexican!!! LOL. My boyfriend is Mexican and always claiming the margarita as a cultural milestone. I'm gonna get him good next time he claims it.

Mark

I don't drink much, but heck, I always wondered how the frozen margarita got started. I think this a good example of new inventions come out of need. This is truly a nice article.

Dallas

Mango margarita, definitely no salt. The absolute best. Dallas has some of the best tex-mex.

maric

No doubt, Margarita is a favorite cocktail drink until now. And a frozen Margarita will surely entice your taste buds.

dr.mo

That's what you call the power of science!
really like the way you write this article

Carol Blogger

So what are Mariano and the chemist doing today? Did they both retire or is their restaurant still around today? Thanks for the history lesson.

Jodi Murphy

Thanks for the great article and when we come to the Smithsonian I hope you guys have it up and running. (:

Rod Martin, Jr.

I don't drink much, but heck, I could use a margarita about now, along with a tasty set enchiladas, frijoles, y arroz con salsa. Being born in Texas on Cinco de Mayo, the tradition of Mexican food has been in my blood for sixty years. And margaritas? I always take mine with salt!

Tex Mex

Viva La Margarita! I never thought about who invented the margarita machine or when ... but it's good to know. I almost remember all those extra strong 'ritas we used to get at Casita Jorge's when I was in college. Their motto was "Only the strong survive". I've been living in Germany a long time now & I really miss good Tex Mex mexican food and a properly made margarita.

Jeff Magee

Nice article. I always wondered how the frozen margarita got started. I have been drinking frozen margarita's for about 30 years and it has gotten quite expensive for me. My kids, all four of them under the age of twenty also love margarita's as well (the virgin kind of course). I have had margarita's made from all sorts of machines, blenders, smoothie makers, true icee or slurpee machines (7 eleven style) and of course the machines sold as margarita makers.

You don't know what you're missing until you have that very smooth (ice chunck free) great tasting frozen margarita!

Gisborne NZ

Thanks for sharing, it was really interesting as i live in New Zealand and never knew where the margarita originated from. Its amazing to see a that a machine creates margarita's, much appreciated.

Mattisyahu Nussbaum

It goes to show you that even if you hit a brick wall, for instance 7-Eleven not giving up their machine, you can always find a work around. Love it.

Ian

Margaritas machines are common in my neck of the woods and my GF loves them. But I prefer the good old handmade ones before the machines became so common.

Sasha James

Huh, this is interesting. Someone maybe doesn't care but it is in deed valuable to know the story behind the things you like as well as how they came to be. 800 million Margaritas / year only in US ? I would say even more .... do you know that Joe Vitale came up with a "healthy" Margarita called Fit a Rita ? It may sound hilarious but it just shows how popular and liked they are .... even fitness fanatics whats them ;)

April Tourneau

Robb Walsh was a great guy.