« Love the Smithsonian? Thank James Smithson. | Main | A teacher's perspective on the Greensboro Sit-In Youth Town Hall »

March 16, 2010

shelly

Very cool story! I can't imagine support my whole family with flag making.

Alma

This is a most inspiring story. My mother was a dressmaker and passed her sewing gene on to me. During the second world war, she shortened the tails of soldiers shirts and saved the cut-off bits. They came in handy for VE day when, in England, flags and bunting were made out of khaki scraps to celebrate.

James Morgan

I imagine she’d be tickled that millions of people have traveled here to see it, and incredulous that her handiwork—designed to withstand a few years at the top of a flagpole—lives on to inspire people almost 200 years later.

Johnson Peacock

I think it is amazing how big an impact one person in the world can make simply for doing something honorable and that they believe in. Unfortunately one evil person can also do the same thing. Thank God for people like Mary Pickersgill.

muratasi35

Thank you for bringing up this story. I had read about Mary Pickersgill years ago, and I am pleased of being reminded now of this remarkable woman who was able to combine so perfectly creativity, nationalism and a means to make a living.

Maurice Savariego

David Jones

Dear Megan,

Thank you for such an interesting post! I knew a little about Mary Pickersgill but I had no idea that the flag she sewn was 30x42 feet. I work with many people who sew, especially reenactment costumes of this period, and I can't wait to share this article with them. As so many of the people before me noted, it's a very impressive task to sew something of that size completely by hand. Very insipirational. Thank you and I will definitely share this article with my friends!

Joey

I totally forgot about this woman's name - even though most of us probably learned about Mary in 3rd grade history class. It is fantastic to hear,even in 2010, about this remarkable story. Mary had none of the conveniences we have today, which is why I believe she had the inspiration to create such a monumental piece of American history. This made me feel very proud. Thanks.

Donny

James Polk

What a remarkable feat to sew a 30x42 foot Flag by hand. Imagine the time and energy it took to cut the pieces and sew them so the finished Flag was not distorted. I am sure she never imagined the Flag would end up in a museum and be revered by such a nation as the USA became. It goes to prove each of us as citizens should do our part to make our nation a better place to live. Sadly the art of hand sewing is practiced by a very small percentage of the population today. Getting clothes hemmed is not an easy feat anymore.