« Designing the American Dream with Mrs. Obama in mind | Main | Star Spangled Women: Mary Pickersgill »

March 11, 2010

paul duncan

I will be visiting the Smithsonian right before Christmas, so finding your article was a pleasant prelude. (I had no idea who he was.)Also I think the ebook is available through Amazon.

NMAH

@George, you can find e-reader versions of the book online.

George

I hope I will visit the Smithsonian Institute next year. Also, I am searching for a place where I can buy the book you recommend, but in a digital format (.pdf) so that I can read it on my e-book reader. Any ideas?

Lider

I have visited the Smithsonian museum twice. I do not live close to Washington DC but was so amazed at all the exhibits. It would be unimaginable for Smithson to be able to realize what a valued treasure he enabled with his gift. With all the wealth that has been created in the modern world I am amazed that nothing close to the establishment of the Smithsonian has been bequeathed. Maybe it takes a long time after a person leaves such a sum for it to become reality. I sure wish I was close to Washington DC so I could enjoy the Smithsonian on a regular basis. I have often wondered how many years elapse between the showing of all the different exhibits.

Kevin Mike

When you travel to the Washington D.C. area then going to the Smithsonian Institution is a must. With all of the the education, history and the massive amount of artefacts like the Hope Diamond it will be place that you will want to come back to again and again. The first time you go to the National Mall area it is quite overwhelming when you all of the museums and galleries, it's hard to believe that most of it is for free.

Tasha

great article. thank you. i love history and the story of the sponsor of the Smithsonian institution is wonderful! so good we have the museums b/c he gave...

Richard Polk

Gina

I've currently been enjoying reading this book on my Kindle. Especially, since I volunteer at the American History museum. It's pretty neat to learn about his life and to correlate it to the history of the U.S. (that I am continually learning while volunteering).