« Star Spangled Women: Mary Pickersgill | Main | Remarkable New Jersey! »

March 18, 2010

Jay Seedibi

Another example of a great teacher doing so much for our kids despite all of the negative forces going on in schools today (and the red tape that us teachers have to go through)

Plus, I am really glad I found this blog post when I did. I used it as part of an application essay for a class I just completed for my license renewal.

muratasi35

Oh, this brings tears to my eyes. Ms. Trenkle, you provide so many opportunities for your students to personally relate to the history that they study -- you make the kids want to experience LIFE and to be "on the right side" of history when they have the chance. Thanks so much

Don S.

I agree. Ms. Trenkle understands that seeing REAL live people like one's self (in this case African American) is one of the biggest eye-openers to our own power and unlocks it better than any mere classroom lecture.

History (and possibilities) become most real to us when we experience them in person. Great work!

Don S.

Mike

That's great that they were so nice to the kids, good things can happen when you go the extra mile.

cara

Powerful experience! I agree with the above comment about going the extra mile for kids. You get the right teacher, the right experience, and the right school supplies and magic can happen!

Nancy

What a wonderful experience for the class! Teachers that want to provide enriching experiences to students in the classroom, but need a way to raise funds can use the Adopt-A-Classroom program. A donor can adopt a classroom by making a direct classroom grant through AdoptAClassroom.org. Teachers receive 100% of the funds and have the ability to purchase school supplies that fit the class' needs.

Debbie Thor

What an inspiring article. These students are very blessed to have such a wonderful teacher as Ms. Trenkle. As a lover of American history, I love to watch master teachers make it real to their students. Relevance is the key and good teachers know how to prepare and present their material accordingly. It inspires teachers like myself to go the extra mile for the kids.

Sherry Trafford

Oh, this brings tears to my eyes. Ms. Trenkle, you provide so many opportunities for your students to personally relate to the history that they study -- you make the kids want to experience LIFE and to be "on the right side" of history when they have the chance. Thanks so much --
Sherry Trafford

linda.david@verizon.net

Congratulations Amy Trenkle! This is the type of thing National Board Certified Teachers do! You represented us well. On top of this, we know that Stuart Hobson is a great school for learning. Keep up the good work.

Linda David

Tamara Wright

Mrs.Trenkle has always been a great teacher. She had my son in 8th grade and I am looking forward to her having my youngest son, who is in the 5th grade at Stuart....Great Teacher in DCPS!!!

Mark Collins

Great job Amy- as always

M Collins
KMS - History

Yenta

This teacher did an excellent job of preparing her students--something I do not always see when I guide groups all over DC. There is an excellent "Indpendent Lens" video that was done on the Greensboro sit ins. I notice that it is not currently available on the PBS site. It would be worth buying it to show to students before they visit the Greensboro lunch counter at the NMAH. During the student tour season there are programs at the lunch counter all the time. However, unlike the lucky students of Amy Trenkle, you will not get to meet the real living history. The program is, in my opinion the best of all the programs done for student tours within the museum.