« Take only (wonderful) memories | Main | Top 10 posts of 2009 »

December 17, 2009

Andrea Fuller

I thought the bread truck looked familiar...then thought to myself, I am sure other places in the country must have used that same gimmick. Then when I started reading I realized my childhood memories hadn't failed me. Roma's bread is yummier in my opinion, but it's always great to see my hometown on a national stage.

Coco

I had always thought that bread slicers went back further than that even. Love reading about food history and really enjoyed this article. Amazing about Wonder Bread and the Sistine Chapel!

Paula

The food technology collections at the National Museum of American History contain Mr. Rohwedder's 1928 bread slicer. It was used to slice loaves of fresh bakery bread at Korn’s Bakery, in Rohwedder’s home town of Davenport, Iowa, beginning in late 1928. This machine is Rohwedder’s second automatic bread-slicer, the first having fallen apart after about six months of heavy use at Bench’s Bakery, in Chillicothe, Missouri. The machine is currently in museum storage.