« The strangest object in the Photographic History Collection | Main | A visit from the U.S. Secretary of Education »

August 10, 2009

Shelly

I must admit that Julia Child is out of my league, i stick to simple cakes that can amaze you with their taste.
Most of the cakes I make can be made by kids as well, but they really good and tasty. Recipes like the banana cake recipe at http://thecookduke.com/bananacakerecipe/ are my favorite :)

NMAH

@Tracie, thanks for sharing your video!

Tracie Bettenhausen

I made the recipe, using a Flip cam to capture all (okay, most) of the steps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9TyXRO9RQ

Vanessa

I honestly didn’t realize that Julia Child’s was 91. I remember watching her on PBS; it was always wonderful. There just isn’t anyone like her.
Cake making is a true art. Sometimes they turn out perfect, sometime not so much so. It has been a tradition in our family to make extravagant cakes for birthdays and holidays. Even when they aren’t so pretty, they are tasty. I found this mini brownie recipe recently and wanted to share.

I love chocolate and coffee. Bon-appétit!

Café Kalan’s Cappuccino Bon-Bons
1 pkg. brownie mix (13x9 in)
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 ½ tbsp. powdered or instant coffee
1 tsp. cinnamon
Directions: blend all ingredients. Fill mini-muffin cups ½ full. Bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes. Cool and enjoy.

nidakontor

thank you very much. I so like

Cake

Julia Child is an amazing person. I love watching her show with Jacques Pepin on PBS. The interaction between them is priceless :)

This cake recipe sounds great. I can't wait to try it!

Andre Nievo

Yeah sure, I will definitely try this at home together with my wife.

Thanks.

Kathy

Congratulations, Paula! I bet it was absolutely scrumptious! Yea...for Julia!

Rosalie Ferrara

I've cooked since the age of 12. I am now 52 years of age and have only just discovered Julia's way of cookery. My cooking now has a lot of flavour after having watched the movie and bought the book. Even cooking a steak is a whole lot more interesting.

However, trying to buy a copper bowl for whisking the cream etc. is so expensive. I actually went to France 2 years ago and noticed that copperware is far more cheaper. I'd love to know where in Australia is cheaper to buy copper bowls than going to Simon & Johnson.

Maria Evans

Great information, I'm going to use this one for a party next week - thank you!

Lydia Williams

Truly a master of the culinary art, Julia Child enlightened me years ago and once more now.

clara

This is the way i prepare it lil different:In a large bowl cream the butter and add the sugar, creaming until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then add the melted chocolate and coffee/rum/or brandy. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form, then add a spoonful of sugar and whisk to stuff peak again. Add a spoonful of the egg white to the chocolate mixture to break it up and then add the flour and ground almonds. Add the remainder of the egg white mixture to the large bowl, stirring through with either a large spatula, a la Child's method, or with a large metal spoon. Use figure of eight motions and fold in the eggwhite to the cake mixture with a gentle motion. If you're heavy-handed you'll knock all the air out. Better to have some pockets of flour or egg mixture dotted through the mixture then to be over-zealous about distributing all the ingredients

Julia

My mom was a huge fan of Julia Child's (so much so that she named me after her). She was such a wonderful cook, and I'm glad that a whole new generation is getting to know her again because of the new movie.

Jason Cook

Honestly, I can't think of anyone more influential to cooking than Julia Child.

I always beat my eggs by hand. :D

Anyone who hasn't enjoyed Julia is truly missing out on one of the great wonders of the world.

recipe cook

The film is bound to raise even more interest in cooking (in addition to the various cooking tv shows) - one could just imagine culinary majors at universities filling up with more students than ever before!

Stephanie White

Standing over the bowl of melting chocolate, I felt connected to Julia, Julie and women everywhere, including my mother who says she never made any of the recipes in MtAoFC, but was able to e-mail me the recipe for this cake from her copy, which I plan to steal. If it tastes half as good as it looks it will be a great success. Happy Birthday Julia!

Lisa

This is such a great idea! I'll definitely be taking part as much as I can..which may not be much, but I'll try :) LOVE Julia!

Linda Crispell

How wonderful that you are paying tribute to this lovely woman who changed the way we cook!