« Why should we care about Lincoln? | Main | Printing history and the Intertype linotype machine »

April 21, 2009

Joyce Beery Miles

If you want something for the History Explorer website on the week of December 3, you could feature Ellen Swallow Richards, who is on display in the Science in American Life area. She was born December 3 in 1842 and died in 1911. I have produced a DVD on her life and have traveled the country with a one woman play reenacting her life IN HER OWN WORDS. The DVD proceeds as well as honoraria for the play are donated to the Centennial Challenge Campaign for the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences which Ellen founded 100 years ago in 1909. I would even like to portray her in the exhibit on her birthday. We visited the exhibit just last week and as I stood there with the exhibit, viewers came by, and I started telling them all manner of information about her that I have learned as an Ellen Richards Historian and Researcher. They were actually interested.