« Broad stripes and bright stars | Main | As now, democracy was up to bat 100 years ago »

October 17, 2008

http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00e553a80e108834010535948bc6970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference A real national treasure?:

ayhan

Please note that the portrait of Stephen Colbert is no longer on view

özel ders

During a few days the portrait was on display at the National Treasures exhibit in the Air and Space Museum,and I was able to make it over there after not visiting the museum for the last ten years. While taking my picture with the portrait I met other Colbert fans and was able to discuss the portrait with other boss.

film izle

I visited the NMAH last week with two friends, and was completely surprised by but thrilled to discover Stephen Colbert's portrait there. Though his work satirizes jingoism, he in fact embodies the American Dream - a hard-working, self-made family man who is genuinely interested in the state of our nation and in improving the lives of his countrymen. Congratulations to the Smithsonian for acknowledging Colbert!

NMAH

Please note that the portrait of Stephen Colbert is no longer on view.

Jennifer

Dana Allen-Greil

Update: The portrait of Stephen Colbert is now on view on the third floor west, near Dumbo the Flying Elephant and other entertainment, sports, and music artifacts.

Dana Allen-Greil

Update: The portrait will be on view in the museum beginning Friday, November 28 on the third floor east with other entertainment, sports, and music artifacts.

Mason

During the fews days the portrait was on display at the National Treasures exhibit in the Air and Space Museum, I was able to make it over there after not visiting the museum for the last ten years. While taking my picture with the portrait I met other Colbert fans and was able to discuss the portrait with other patrons. Without his portrait at the National Portrait Gallery, I would not have known about the museum despite frequenting the Chinatown/Gallery Place area. I am glad that National Museum of American History will be putting him on display and I look forward to being there during opening day to see the portrait's final home. This is a great way to get my generation to step away from the TV & Internet and discover the amazing collections of the Smithsonian.

ap7078a

Every time I walked by the NMAH while it was under renovation while I was on a lunch break or with my with my wife on our way to the jazz garden after work on a friday afternoon (or every time a visiting relative or friend was in town and asking what museum to visit) I would think to myself wistfully, "what about that strange rectangular edifice behind scaffolding?" I never thought to google it until I saw it on the Colbert Report. I'm glad to learn that NMAH knows its (potential, new, etc.) audience, has a director with terrific deadpan, and worthwhile exhibits too!